What To Do If You're In An Accident Involving A Police Car?

Having an accident is never a good thing but it can be especially problematic if you are in an accident with a police car. If this happens you have to know what to do to make sure that your rights are properly protected. In most cases this is going to mean that your first call will be to your lawyer.

For the most part if you get into an accident with a police car the steps that you are going to have to take are going to be the same as they would be for any accident. There are a couple of obvious differences, you wouldn't need to report it to the police since they would already know but other than this there are not a lot of differences.

The first thing that you have to do if you get into an accident with a police car is to make sure that if you need it that you get medical help. Again this is the same as it would be for any other accident. If you even suspect that you may have been injured you are going to want to make sure that you get it checked out. This will both make sure that there no hidden problems and ensure that your injuries are documented.

The next thing that you have to do if you are in accident with a police car is to call a lawyer. This is a good idea in general if you are in an accident but it becomes particularly important if you are involved in accident. The main reason for this is that police cars don't carry automobile insurance in the same way that other drivers do. The government will normally self insure their fleet of police cars. This means that the procedure for claiming damages is going to be different and you are likely going to need a lawyer to help you through the process.

After your lawyer the next person that you are going to want to call is the representative of your own car insurance provider. You will have to report the accident to them whether it was caused by you or by the police officer. If the accident was your fault the insurance company will usually take things from there and settle with the police department. If the accident was the fault of the police it will be noted by the insurance company and they will leave you to collect damages through your lawyer.

The next steps are likely going to depend on the decision that is made by your auto insurance company or by your lawyer and will depend on whether a settlement can be reached or if it is necessary to go to court. The best thing to do is to follow your lawyer's advice on this.

back to top